June 11, 1913  Frederick Daily News

CROWE, Bessie
Body Found In Her Home With Gunshot Wound In Head
Cumberland, Md., June 11 - The authorities are baffled by the mysterious death of Bessie Crowe, sixteen years old, daughter of Silas Crowe, a well-to-do farmer residing in Garrett county, five miles from Lonaconing, this county. The girl died from the effects of a gunshot wound in her head just back of her left ear, tearing the back of her head off.  The jury failed to find any burns or powder marks and had been unable to reach a decision. The elder members of the family were away from home and found the lifeless body upon their return home Monday.

June 11, 1913, Frederick Daily News

CROWE, Bessie
Authorities Do Not Believe Bessie Crowe Shot Herself
Cumberland, Md. June 10.-The authorities are baffled by the mysterious death of Bessie Crowe 16 year-old daughter of Silas Crowe, a Garrett county farmer living five miles from Lonaconing.
They refuse to accept the statement of a brother, several years older, and a younger sister, who testified before the coroner's  jury impaneled by Justice of the Peace Brown that they were on the outside of the house and upon hearing a shot ran in to find their sister with a gun in her hand lying dead on the floor.
The girl died yesterday from the effects of a gunshot wound in her head just back of her left ear.  The jury failed to find any burns or powder marks and was unable to reach a decision.  The elder members of the family were away from home and found the lifeless body upon their return.

The Baltimore Sun, 11 Jun 1913
(Courtesy of Theresa Burba)

"The home of Silas Crowe, at a lonely spot on Savage Mountain, about five miles from here, was the scene of a mysterious shooting that is baffling the efforts of the coroner's jury endeavoring to place the blame for the death of Mr Crowe's daughter, Bessie, aged 16 years. Tuesday afternoon about three o'clock the elder members of the Crowe family went away from home to return when summoned by neighbors and find the lifeless body of the child who has come to her death from the effects of a gunshot wound in the back of the head. The charge had entered just back of her left ear, tearing the back of her head off. There was no eye witnesses in the shooting, and the story told by a brother and a sister of the dead girl is doubted by the jury on the case. The brother, which is several years older than the dead girl, and a sister, several years younger, state that they were on the outside of the house and upon hearing a shot ran to find their sister with the gun in her hand lying on the floor. This story was at once disqualified by the jury impaneled the Justice of the Peace, George Brown, acting coroner, where they had examined the body of the dead girl and failed to find any burns or powder marks. At a late hour Wednesday no solution of the mystery had been reached. The brother and sister are both being held as witnesses."    
June 13, 1913 -  Keyser Tribune


Bureau of the Evening Times
J. J. Robinson and Isaac Love.
Lonaconing, Md., June 24.
Mrs. Silas Crowe and several members of her family, living on Savage Mountain, in Garrett county, were in Lonaconing yesterday. Several weeks ago a daughter of the family, Bessie, aged 16, was found with the back of her head blown off by a shotgun during the absence of the parents. An Evening Times correspondent talked with them in an effort to adduce some new facts concerning the shooting of the girl. Robert, the older of the two brothers, was shy and extremely reticent when the death of his sister was referred to. He declared he knew nothing of the shooting except what he had told again, and again, at the time of the investigation, and he would not even discuss his previous statements. Mrs. Crowe, the mother, was a trifle more communicative, although she stuck to the opinion that the girl committed suicide. She explained that Bessie had been suffering from a "gathering" in the head, and that for several months prior to the shooting she had been incorrigible, refusing to obey her mother and breaking away from all parental restraint. This is now believed to have been an indication of an impaired mind, which finally led up to her taking her own life. The mother stated yesterday that Bessie had been in the habit of handling the shotgun and would place two chairs together and then raise the gun between the chairs. Mrs, Crowe says she believes that Bessie was repeating the "performance" when the trigger caught in the chair and discharged the gun. Mrs. Crowe and her sons left on the 2:15 P. M. electric car for Shaft to call on relatives.
Tuesday, 24 June 1913, Cumberland Evening Times

Lawrence Crowe Arrested

Around Avilton there was much ado over the arrest of Lawrence Crowe charged with the murder of his sister, Bessie, aged 16, early in the summer. A coroner's jury had decided that the shooting was accidental and the brother was not then charged, but it is said he talked afterward and is now in Oakland Jail in consequence.
The Evening Times, Cumberland, October 17, 1913
(Courtesy of Sheryl Kelso)
Posted February 6, 2011

 ~ At Last Will Have to Answer

Last June this community was shocked by the shooting of a Miss Crowe in Garrett county during the absence of her parents, and it will be remembered that The Evening Times published details of the tragedy, including several interviews with a brother, Lawrence Crowe, which aroused considerable comment and directed more or less suspicion toward the brother, whose explanation of the shooting was neither satisfactory nor conclusive from a journalistic point of view. It has now transpired that Lawrence Crowe was arrested several days ago by the Garrett county authorities charged with the shooting, and after a preliminary arraignment before a justice of the peace, was held without bail for the action of the Garrett county grand jury, which convenes next month at Oakland. The anticipated defense of the accused will be irresponsibility because of unsound mind or insanity.
Friday, 17 October 1913, The (Cumberland) Evening Times
(Courtesy of Sheryl Kelso)
Posted February 5, 2011



(Cumberland) Evening Times November 7, 1908




Frostburg, Md. Nov. 7 -- Sylvester Porter Crowe, a young miner residing on Mechanic street, today at noon went to a wood shed at the rear of his home and shot himself in the breast with a shot gun, dying almost instantly.
The unfortunate man was about 40 years of age and besides two brothers, George and John, of this place, leaves a wife and a large family of young children.
Mr. Crowe was a man of splendid reputation, prominent in Republican circles in the county and of an industrious nature.  Domestic troubles is supposed to be the cause for his rash act.
His self destruction was evidently premeditated.  He has been out of employment for about a month and being very despondent, today at noon, as stated, he repaired to the wood shed on his premises, and taking off his right shoe, evidently pulled the trigger of the shot gun with his toe with the result above.
Crowe, it will be remembered, in company with Afred Schofield, another citizen captured the man Campbell, a couple of months ago, who was trying to shoot up the town.  

  MURDER & MAYHEM for article about the shooting.

Upon being advised of the death of Mr. Crowe, Coroner George Martz went to the scene of the tragedy and after making a thorough investigation deemed an inquest unnecessary, as every evidence showed that Mr. Crowe's death had been a clear case of suicide."


Frostburg Laments Death of Sylester[sic] P. Crowe.
Bureau of the Evening Times, Frostburg, MD., Nov. 9.
As stated in the Times of Saturday, this town received a terrible shock when it was learned that Sylvester P. Crow, aged 42, living on North Mechanic street, a very prominent citizen, had taken his own life by placing the muzzle of a shotgun against his body, pulling the trigger with his toe and causing his death, about 11:30 Saturday morning.  Mr. Crow[sic] took the gun and started down his back yard to a woodshed in the rear of his home.  He was accompanied by his little daughter.  When about halfway down the lot he placed his hand in his pocket and handed his little girl forty cents, telling her to give it to her mother, and tell her "goodbye" for him.  The little one had hardly reached the house when a discharge was heard.  Several members of the family rused to the spot and found the unfortunate man lying upon the ground, with a ghastly wound in his breast.  The charge of shot had penetrated his body near the heart.  Death was almost instantaneous.  Dr. Wm. O. McLane, who lives just a short distance away, was at once summoned, but could do nothing.  The victim of his own hand gave one long gasp and was dead.
Mr. Crow[sic] was a man highly repected by the people of the town and was loked upon as one of the most industrious men in the community.

He was a man of irreproachable character and was always prominently identified with Republican politics of the town, having been a staunch supporter of Hon. Geo. A. Rearre in all his campaigns.
The report has been circulated that Mr. Crow[sic] had for some time been drinking very heavily.  In justice to his family and his splendid reputation for sobriety, it should be said that this is not true., and is positively denied.  Those who knew him intimately testify that he was not addicted to the use of drink to any great extent and had not touched it for some time.
His untimely death was due to domestic troubles, which it is thought so preyed upon his mind that in a fit of despondencey he committed the rash act.

Mr. Crow[sic] was married 17 years ago to Miss Blance McNulty, of Mt. Savage, and during their married life they had 15 children, sic of these having died and nine are still living, the eldest, a girl, being about 15 years of age.  Mr. Crow[sic] was born at Borden Mines on Dec. 1, 1866, and has lived in this locality all his life.  He is survived by his wife and nine little children and two brothers, Mr. J. S. Crow[sic], manager of F. C. Beall's hardware store, and Mr. Geo. W. Crow[sic], an employee of the Black, Sheridan, Wilson Co., at Union Mines No. 1.

He was a charter member of Mountain City Council, No. 11, Junior Order United American Mechanics, and a member of the Royal Arcanum, of this place, in which he carries $1,000 of insurance.

The funeral will take place today from his late home on Mechanic street and will be in charge of the Jr. O. U. A. M., Council No. 11.  Interment will be made in the old Porter graveyard, near Eckhart Mines.  Rev. A. H. Thompson, of the First M. E. Church will officiate at the funeral.  A continuous stream of people from town and other places in the county have been coming and going ever since yesterday morning, expressing their synpathy and testifying by their presence that deceased was a man highly esteemed all over the county, and not for years has there been suh a gloom cast over this community as that caused by the untimely death of Mr. Crow[sic]."


Bureau of the Evening Times - Frostburg, MD., Nov. 10
One of the largest funerals ever seen here was that of Mr. Sylvester P. Crowe, the unfortunate man who took his own life on Saturday, of which a full account was given in this paper on Monday evening.
During yesterday afternoon hundreds of people visited the home of the family and viewed the remains of Mr. Crowe and by 3 o'clock, the time set for the funeral, there was at least six to seven hundred people in and around the home and acattered along Mechanic street.
The funeral was in charge of the Jr. O. U. A. M., Council No. 11, and 275 of its members turned out to pay their last respects to the deceased brother.  The funeral left the home at 4 p.m., with the 275 members of the order in the lead, followed by the officers, flower bearers and pallbearers in carriages.  The members of the order marched as far as Eckhart flat, when they opened ranks, and with uncovered heards allowed the funeral to pass through, only the officers going to the cemetery.  The order, after the funeral had passed, countermarched to the hall in the Fisher building, on Main street.  The funeral proceeded to the old Porter graveyard, about two miles north of Eckhart, where interment was made.  Rev. A. H. Thompson, pastor of the First M. E. Church, read the burial service, and this was followed by the ritualistic funeral ceremony of the Jr. O. U. A. M.
The floral offerings were many and very beautiful, especially one sent by the Hon. Geo. A. Pearre, with a card upon which the following inscription: "With the affectionate regard of an old and warm friend, to one of his most faithfull and loyal friends and followers."
The pallbearers were W. G. Stevens, Jno. Eisel and Wm. Eisel, of Council No. 11 Jr. O. U. A. M., and Henry Hartig, Wm. Cronin and L R. Evans, of the Royal Areanum.  Mr. Crowe having been a member of both of these organizations.  The flower-bearers were: H. M. Skidmore, Thos. H. Morgan, Earl Sterry, Jno. W. Timmons, Elmer H. Lewis, Jno. Bean, Albert Capel and Wm. H. Hanna."



HARVEY, William (abridged)

Youth, Fishing, Finds Harvey's Body In Deep Creek Lake
Mystery of Disappearance of Frostburg's City Engineer On April 4 Is Solved-Buried Today At Westernport By Elks
Frostburg, Md., April 30, --All theories regarding the disappearance of William Harvey, 50, city engineer, on April 4, faded last night when it was learned that his body had been found floating on the surface of Deep Creek Lake, near Oakland, by Sherman Friend, and his sister, Mabel, at sundown yesterday, three-quarters of a mile from Glendale bridge, the point where it is thought he made the fatal plunge. Young Friend and his sister were fishing along the bank of the lake when they discovered the body. Immediately authorities were notified and the body was removed. An inquest was deemed unnecessary by the Garrett county officers and permission was granted to remove the body to this city in the ambulance of the Frostburg Furniture and Undertaking Company, where it was later prepared for burial.

Body Well Preserved
Examination of his body by Sheriff William D. Casteel and Deputy Joy Griffith revealed it to be in fair condition, probably due to the cold water. Mr. Harvey was fully clothed, except for his hat and overcoat, the latter being left in his car parked on Glendale bridge spanning Deep Creek on April 4. Several unimportant papers were found in his coat pocket and a small amount of change in his trousers. A watch and razor were also found on his clothing. The finding of his body discounts other stories of his disappearance. Sheriff William R. Harvey, a.............
(next paragraphs are unreadable due to fold in paper)
..............car was found abandoned on Glendale bridge. On the floor of the car were the stubs of six cigars ashes covering the upholstering, giving all indication of serious study and thought. On [the]front seat with the back folded over was a pocketbook containing $135 in cash and check for $2. In the back of the car were found valuable maps and other papers together with a set of automobile chains, two overcoats and one raincoat. Immediately the alarm was given and authorities began dragging the creek for his body. The search continued for nearly eight days and was then abandoned, except for those in the vicinity of the lake, who kept a vigilant watch on the surface for the appearance of his body.
Mr. Harvey is survived by his widow, Mrs. Maude Zimmerman Harvey, and three sons, William, Jr., Robert and Allen Harver; five brothers, John, Charles, Robert, Anthony, and George Harvey, this city, Mrs. Ernest Layman and Mrs. Ernest McGregor, of Shaft.

Burial at Westernport
Funeral services were held this afternoon at 3 o'clock from the Harvey residence on Broadway, Rev. Lewis B. Browne, rector of St. John's Episcopal Church, officiationg. The body was removed to the Philos Cemetery, Westernnport for burial. The pallbearers from Frostburg Lodge, No. 470, B. P. O. Elks, of which Mr. Harvey was a member were: A. Charles Stewart, Irvin E. Prichard, Joseph M. Brady, Gurney A. Shuckhart, David D. Price and Paul Hitchins; flower bearers, Calvin A. Hollen, Upton B. F. Edwards, J. Glenn Beall and Clifton D. Jeffries. The Elks' ritual was observed at the grave with William A. Gunter as acting exalted ruler. Others participating in the service were Martin Hartig, J. Glenn Beall, Dr. W. O. McLane, Jr., Upton B. F. Edwards, Rudoplh[sic] Nickel and Duncan E. Shaffer.
Cumberland Evening Times, Cumbeland[sic] MD.; Wednesday, April 30, 1930, Page 12, Col. 3
(Courtesy of Charles Riend/transcribed by Genie)
Posted Octoberr 19, 2015



John Hodel

Saturday afternoon Jacob Shultz, a young laborer, who was climbing a path on the east side of the Narrows, a mountain gorge, a mile north of Cumberland, came upon the bleached bones of a man covered with a few remnants of clothing and concealed in a crevice among the immense boulders that are piled up at the base of the cliff.  The coroner investigated the case very thoroughly, and no doubt exists that the reamins were those of John Hodel, who disappeard from Cumberland on March 21 1882, and who in moods of despondency, brought on by chronic nervous dyspepsia, was in the habit of wandering off to the mountains.
Two empty bottles without labels lying near give color to the supposition that suicide was committed, as Hodel had several times tried to kill himself with overdoses of chloral.

Hagerstown Herald & Torch Light Mar 28 1889

John Hodel

Left His Bones on the Hillside
Cumberland, Md., March 25. - Jacob Schultz, who was climbing Bear Mountain, a mile north of here, Saturday, came upon the bleached bones of a man covered with a few remnants of clothing, concealed in a crevice among the boulders.  The coroner investigated the case yesterday and no doubt exists that the remains are thos of John Hodel, who disappeared from this city on March 21 1882.  Mrs. Hodel, who still resides here, has no doubt that the skeleton is that of her husband.  She identifies the clothing as his.  Two empty unlabeled bottles lying near the skeleton give color to the supposition that Hodel committed suicide.
Hodel was the inventor of a wonderul clock something siilar to the Strasboug clock and traveled around the country exhibiting it.
  Cumberland Evening Times March 25 1889


Charles Humbertson

Bureau, Evening Times Lonaconing, August 25 [1905]

Mr. Chas. Humbertson was killed by engine No. 19 about 1:30 am yesteday on the C & P Railroad, near Pink  Row.  Acting Coroner C. S. Murphy summoned a jury of inquest, composed of the following gentlemen: Wm. B. Bradley, foreman; Lloyd Durst, Jas. B. McAlpine, Andrew Spier, Peter McFArland, Daniel J. Murphy, Patrick Mansfield,, John Heron, Wm. Relber, Wm. Travis, Jno. Smith, D. R. Sloan.  The jury viewed the remains and adjourned to meet in C. S. Murphy's office at 7 o'clock to hear the testimony of witnesses.
Mr. Wm. Whitefield and J. N. Howard testified that they passed the point where the man was killed a short time after 1 o'clock a.m. and did not know that anything had happened until they reached the Georges Creek mine where they were informed that their engine had killed a man at Pink Row.
Dr. J. O. Bullock examined the remains and found [the] body cut in two just above the hip bones.  Found no bruises, except a slight wound on the right arm and one on the scalp, neither of which would have caused death.  The doctor's testimony clears away any suspicion that Mr. Humbertson was dealt with in a foul way, and the body placed on the track to hide the crime.
Mr. David Creighton testified that he was with Mr. Humbertson from 7 p.m. until 12:30 a. m. and separated from him at Love's corner, and that while Mr. Humbertson had several drinks of beer while in his company, he was in a condition to take care of himself; that he had no quarrel with any one; that he had no enemies, so far as he knew, who would molest or waylay him.
Lawson Creighton testified in a similar way, and corroborated the testimony of the former witness.
John Rankin testified that he was with Mr. Humbertson from 8 p.m. to about 12:30 a.m. and separated from him at Central School, when Mr. Humbertson crossed the bridge at that point, on his way home; that Mr. Humbertson was able to take care of himself; that they parted in friendship and that no enemity[sic] existed against Mr. Humbertson, so far as he knew.   Jno. Rankin corroborated the testimony of his brother.
Bailiff Thos. Allerdice was talking to the deceased on Main street about 2:30 a.m. and advised him to go home; but he was not drunk, but was able to take care of himself.
D. A. Edward, agent for the C. & P. testified that the night operator reported the train that killed Mr. Humbertson as extra east No. 19, at Lonaconing at 1:24 a.m.
The verdict of the jury was that Mr. Humbertson came to his death by engine No. 19, of the C. & P. R. R., at Pink Row crossing, and that it was an unavoidable accident, and exonerated the company from all blame.



The Entombed Body of John Kier, Jr., Recovered After Two Weeks' Search.

It was stated in yesterday's Times that the body of John Kier, Jr., who was entombed in the Bowery mine on April the 7th by a cave-in, was found on yesterday morning at 4:30 o'clock.  The search has been kept up continuouisly since the accident, not less than twelve thousand tons of earth and rock being removed to uncover the body.
The body was first discovered by
Wm. Crowe, who, with the other force, were working under the supervision of Mr. Robert Scott, mine boss.  As soon as the remains were brought to light the proper authorities were notified, and in a short time a jury was summoned by Constable E. E. Drew, composed of the following gentlemen: Charles Walker, foreman,; B. T. Schofield, Jos. Bear, Theo. Bath, Wm. Hill, W. S. Darr and Hugh Dunken.  The jury soon assembled at the mine, and after viewing the remains adjourned to meet at the office of Justice Parker, in Frostburg, at 5 o'clock in the evening.
After examining all the witnesses and taking the testimony the following verdict was returned:
"We, the jury, find that the said John Kier, Jr., came to his death from a fall of roof coal in the Bowery mine, on Saturday, April 7th, and from the evidence taken, the accident was unavoidable."
The funeral (as stated yesterday) took place a 2 o'clock, Rev. Britt officiating.  Interment was in Allegany cemetery, Frostburg.  The corpse was followed to the grave by the largest number of sorrowing friends that has ever attended a funeral in that place.  The Knights of Pythias and Independent Order of Odd Fellows, of which Mr. Kier was a member, attended.
A peculiar feature of the accident by which Kier lost his life is the fact that he had a dream the night before telling his death, even to the smallest details, and which he related to his wife.  As a consequence, he at first decided not to go to work that day, but changed his mind to accommodate his younger brother, who worked with him and needed his assistance.
The deceased leaves a wife and three children and was 33 years of age.  He was born in Newmiles, Ayershire, Scotland, March 20, 1861, and came to America in 1870.
April 20, 1894 (Cumberland) Evening Times



Connellsville Daily Courier May 14, 1912

KOELKER, William

Brothers of Man Found Here With Throat Cut Start Investigation.
Cumberland. Md , May 16. — Henry J.Koelker, money order clerk in the Cumberland postoffice, and Edward Koelker, of Connellsvllle, Pa., have started an investigation into the death of their brother,William Koelker, of Westernport this county. In Washington, D. C., late last month the theory that he met his death at his own hands is scouted by the brothers.
Koelker was found with his throat cut in a Washington hotel. The gash was on the right side of the neck. William Koelker was right-handed, and the natural thing in a case of suicide, his brothers claim, would have been to start the gash on the left side. Koelker had $700 when he went to Washington. When he was, found there was $1.05 on his person. A signet ring also was missing.
T. L. Jeffords, an attorney of Washington, has been engaged by the Koelker family to investigate the ease. Edward Koelker has also asked Representative
Crago, of Pennsylvania, to assist him in this investigation.

May 16, 1912 The Washington Post

William Koelker's Throat cut in Washington; $700 Gone.

Cumberland.—Henry J. Koelker, money order clerk in the Cumberland postoffice and Edward Koelker, of Connellsville, Pa., have started an investigation into the death of their brother, William Koelker, of Westernport, this county, in Washington.
The death occurred last month. The theory that he met his death at his own hands is scouted by the brothers They found a gash, which caused the death, on the right side of the neck. William Koelker was a right-handed man and it is argued that a suicide would have started the gash on the left side.
Koelker took $700 to Washington to buy new fixtures for his bar. The body had but $1.05 on it. A signet ring which he wore from home was missing.
It was stated by employes of the hotel that the door leading to the room occupied by Koelker had been forced, but the brothers found no evidence of this. Koelker was a member of the Fraternal Order of Eagles, of the Moose and the Red Men. He had been for some years agent of the Cumberland Brewing Company at Piedmont and W
esternport. He leaves a family.
The Evening Post (Frederick) May 16 1912


Little Ruth Woodrow Shot by Father Yesterday ~ FAMILY IN NEED OF HELP ~ Jealousy Seems to Have Been at the Bottom of the Tragedy ~ The Body of the infant to be Buried at Piedmont

The Woodrow baby is dead. The child that was shot by its father early yesterday morning at their home in Ridgeley, W. Va., lingered in much misery from the time of the tragedy until 12 o'clock today, when death released it. Its last hours on earth seemed to be ones of agony. The baby will be taken to Piedmont tomorrow morning on the West Virginia Central passenger train and will be kept at the home of Mrs. Woodrow's parents, Mr. and Mrs. L. F. Kight, until Friday, when the burial will take place in the Kight graveyard, about six miles in the country from Piedmont.
The scene at the Woodrow house this afternoon was one of full distress although not equal in pitiableness to the stories of the tragedy and the circumstances leading to it, which one could hear from those who were in position to know. Lying on a snow white bed, the dead infant was at least the picture of peace as well as innocence, very little of which she had witnessed on earth, nor did her environment promise much to live for had she been permitted to grow to maturity. The misery of the extreme poverty by which her innocence was surrounded was secondary to the chronic domestic disorder which the infant eyes saw but could not understand. The little village of Ridgeley, shocked by the tragedy yesterday, was almost silent upon the subject of the shooting and the circumstances leading to it in the passing of the immediate excitement; however, the crime of yesterday is being dispassionately discussed by disinterested persons. It is plain that jealousy and intemperance, the twin enemies of domestic tranquility, have combined once again in a climax of their evil work. Woodrow had long been suspicious of his wife and although at times his overindulgence in liquor seemed to make him grow callous to the things which he believed. At other times the stimulants would arouse a spark of the inherent pride that was left in his bosom and make him momentarily furious unto desperation and as careless of the consequence of his deeds as he had been of his duty as a man. The Woodrows were married in 1892 at Piedmont. The wife stated today that she and her husband lived at Piedmont until last November where her husband had employment as a stationary engineer. In November last they moved to Ridgeley and since coming to that village they have moved to three or four different houses. Mrs. Woodrow stated that on the night before the tragedy her husband came home from Cumberland about 10 o'clock, was intoxicated and did not leave the house again until after the shooting. She said he lay behind the kitchen stove and slept for a while but did not go to bed and after waking up immediately became quarrelsome and continued in his anger until after the shooting. She said the revolver was a thirty-two caliber and that her husband always carried a revolver and at one time had six weapons but she had gradually gotten the other five away from him.

Family Needs Assistance

The woman said she was entirely without means for the care of herself and little boy of three years and that she would be grateful for any assistance, which kindly disposed persons extend to her. She said she and the child would return to Ridgeley after the funeral Saturday and they would gladly accept anything in the way of food or clothing that might be offered them. A sister of Mrs. Woodrow's arrived from Piedmont last night and she with charitable women in the neighborhood seem to be looking after the temporary needs of the family.
The Evening Times, Cumberland, March 29, 1905
(Courtesy of Charles Riend)
Posted August 4, 2010