Old Midland Bank Building
(Courtesy of John McGowan)
First National Bank of Midland
The First National Bank of Midland is eminently a conservative bank. It never risks its depositor's money, and never moves until sure of its footing, hence its depositors trust its management implicitly. It is sure, safe, and always considers its customers' interests in so far as it can without jeopardizing its stockholders' rights. Of this fact the officials of the bank are justly proud, and as they look back on the useful career the bank has enjoyed for the past eight years and note its increase of deposits, surplus and resources, they have a right to be proud of its work and results. The utmost care has been used to furnish to the business people of Midland and the adjacent territory as great facilities for speedy and complete transaction of banking business as the situation demands.
The First National Bank of Midland was organized on June 19, 1900, with a paid up capital of $25, 000. The Officers are: Roberdeau Annan, president; Lewis J. Ort, cashier. Directors: Philip A. McMahon, mine boss of the Consolidation Coal Co. at Ocean No. 1; DeWarren H. Reynolds, president of the Inter-State Trust Co., and president of the Cumberland and Westernport Electric Railway Co.; Duncan Sinclair, superintendent of the New Central Coal Co. in Maryland; William B. Phillips, one of the leading merchants of Midland; Roberdeau Anna, president of the First National Bank of Frostburg, Md., and Lewis J. Ort, cashier of the bank.
In noting the roster of the men composing the officials of the First National Bank of Midland, one is impressed with their eminent fitness and trustworthiness, and to them the success and growth of the bank as seen today is due. Starting with a capital of $25,000, the bank's resources at the close of business September 23, 1908, were $227,637.05; a surplus fund, $20,000.00, Individual deposits, $141,055.31.
The bank owns its own building, a brick structure which it erected at the time of organization. The appointments and equipment of the bank building are perfect in every detail, there having recently been installed a new burglar and fireproof vault, also a new Moslet-Corliss safe, which weighs 15, 000 pounds. Safe deposit boxes are at the service of all customers free. The First National Bank of Midland, in addition to providing a surplus fund of $20,000, has been paying a six per cent dividend to its stockholders, an evidence in itself of prosperity and capable. management.
Mr. Roberdeau Anna, the president of the bank, is a man who possesses the confidence and respect of the business men and residents of the county, his strong financial and business association in Cumberland, Frostburg and other parts of the county, together with his fitness for leadership in management of institutions of this character, making his connection with the bank in question a source of strength and added security to all who do business with it.
Mrs. Lewis J. Ort, the cashier, a native of Berlin, Pa., is a highly cultured gentleman who is best knkown as principal of the county schools, in which capacity he served for over twenty years. As a member of Ort Bros. bakery, one of Midland's most important manufacturing concerns, as well as in his position in the bank, he has gained the good will of all with whom he has business relations. He devotes himself entirely to the business of the bank and the interests of its customers.
(transcribed by ~Genie)
Midland, MD. History
Midland Centennial - Clary Miller
Midland Opera House
"From Up the Crick"
by Mary Coleen (Burns) Buckley
Page 2 Page 3 Page 4 Page 5